Manhattan Construction Company Begins Construction on Patterson Mansion
WASHINGTON, DC Manhattan Construction Co. begins renovation work and new construction on the 67,000-square-foot Patterson Mansion project in Washington D.C.'s, Dupont Circle. Manhattan Construction is providing pre-construction and construction management services for the building owners and joint developers, D.C.-based SB-Urban, LLC, and Rooney Properties, LLC. Demolition work, which was recently completed, began in August 2015. Hartman-Cox Architects is the architect.
"The Patterson Mansion is an exquisite historical structure with an ornate artisan-carved limestone exterior," said George Kreis, Senior Vice President of Manhattan Construction Co. "It served as the home of President Calvin Coolidge and hosted famous guests like Charles Lindbergh. It is thrilling to renovate the walls that hold so much history and, as a builder, it is an honor to restore the intricate craftsmanship of the original constructors, who completed the home in 1903."
The Patterson Mansion, a historic Neoclassical-style mansion, will be converted into 93 fully furnished, luxury studios. The 25,000-square-foot existing five-story mansion structure and the new 42,000-square-foot, eight-story addition will include a workout facility, library, dining room with large shared kitchen, bar and party area, and an outdoor terrace for resident interaction.
The Washington Club, one of the District's oldest women's social clubs since 1951, previously owned the 112-year-old Patterson Mansion. The house was originally designed for entertaining. President Calvin Coolidge and his wife lived there in 1927 while the White House was being renovated, and Charles Lindbergh was a visitor in June of that year. The house remained in the Patterson family until 1948, when long-time resident Eleanor (Cissy) Patterson died and left the property to the American Red Cross. The Red Cross sold the house to the Washington Club three years later. The Patterson House was listed in the D.C. Inventory of Historic Sites in 1964 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.