United Rentals Participating in Nationwide Series of Trench Safety Educational Events
STAMFORD, CT — United Rentals, Inc. announces that it is participating in a nationwide series of trench safety educational events during the Trench Safety Stand Down, which takes place June 17-21. These events will help organizations and their workers advance knowledge about trench hazards and safe work practices in trenching and excavation work.
Trench and excavation operations are among the most dangerous jobs in the construction industry. Each of United Rentals’ more than 92 trench safety locations will be involved in educational events, ranging from tailgate talks at jobsites and lunch-and-learns to forums featuring independent trench safety authorities, OSHA officials and United Rentals experts. Multiple events will feature Eric Giguere, a former construction worker who survived a near fatal trench collapse and now is a recognized expert in safety awareness. Last year, more than 10,000 people attended United Rentals Trench Safety Stand Down events.
“Trench Safety Stand Down week is an important event supporting an ever-changing industry,” said Todd Hayes, Region Vice President - Trench Safety at United Rentals. “The complexity of excavations and trenches our customers face every day creates many obstacles. Our role and support start with safety every day, and that is what a company can expect from United Rentals as North America’s largest trench safety provider. The Stand Down week is just one more week in our ongoing role to share safety messages and highlight the largest offering of solutions.”
For a listing of events and information on how organizations and individuals can attend a United Rentals trench safety event, please visit the United Rentals Trench Safety Stand Down event page. Here is a sampling of educational events:
- June 18, Hayward, California: Excavation Safety Expo, focused on educating how to become or remain a competent worker in excavation safety. A variety of industry professionals, including Giguere, will present and share their expertise. It takes place at United Rentals Trench Safety, 4125 Breakwater Avenue in Hayward from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- June 19, Lubbock, Texas: Trench Safety Stand Down Lunch, featuring guest speaker Giguere. It takes place at United Rentals Trench Safety, 4103 Frankford Avenue in Lubbock from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- June 19, Reno, Nevada: Excavation Safety Class, starting from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. at United Rentals Trench Safety, 12905 Old Virginia Road in Reno. Attendees must register in advance due to extremely limited seating.
- June 20, Charlotte, North Carolina: Trench Safety Stand Down Open House, with a luncheon featuring Giguere as a speaker. It takes place at United Rentals Trench Safety, 10840 Metromont Parkway in Charlotte from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- June 20, Denver, Colorado: Trench Safety Stand Down Open House, featuring trench safety product demonstrations and a toolbox talk and lunch. It takes place at United Rentals, 6400 Washington Street in Denver from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- June 21, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Stand Down Breakfast, featuring industry experts, including Giguere, speaking about topics related to trench and excavation hazards. Participants will have the opportunity for hands-on activities such as installing protective systems, soil analysis, rescue operations and atmospheric testing. The event will include breakout sessions on excavation/trenching hazards and provide solutions to eliminate serious injuries and fatalities. It takes place at the Northeast Wastewater Treatment Plant, 5100 Pennypack Street in Philadelphia from 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- June 21, Hanover, Virginia: 2019 NUCA of Virginia Trench Safety Stand Down, a joint event involving United Rentals, NUCA of Virginia, VA811 and other organizations. The agenda includes a mock trench rescue and demonstrations of fall protection, conﬁned space and trench shoring/shielding. It takes place at the Virginia Public Safety Training Center, 7093 Broad Neck Road in Hanover from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.