Waukegan Celebrates Mathon Drive Bridge Replacement Completion
WAUKEGAN, IL The city of Waukegan, Illinois, hosted a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for the Mathon Drive Bridge Replacement project. Waukegan Mayor Wayne Motley, city staff, elected officials, and local citizens gathered at the bridge to celebrate the successful completion of this revitalized Gateway to the Lakefront.
The Grand Avenue/Mathon Drive Bridge Superstructure connects downtown Waukegan with the harbor recreational facilities and industries adjacent to Lake Michigan. The bridge now features a five-foot bike lane across the span, decorative LED lighting, ornamental fencing, and a 10-foot, multi-use path on Pershing Road.
The $7-million-project was funded in large part by the Federal Surface Transportation Program (80 percent). Local funding was used by the city of Waukegan for the remaining 20 percent.
The improvements will result in safer movement of vehicular traffic across the bridge, improved access for bicyclists and pedestrians, better ride quality, and a reduction in future bridge maintenance costs.