HD Supply Waterworks in Houston Thanks Customers With Appreciation Event
Every two years, HD Supply Waterworks in Houston holds an open house for its customers, to show their appreciation and celebrate friendships. This year's event was held at the company's Homestead Road location and drew over 300 attendees. Activities included a free, all-you-can-eat barbecue lunch cooked by staff, games, giveaways, photo opportunities with two Texans cheerleaders, lots of hands-on demos by vendors and raffle prizes.
Wendy Niemczak, Houston Branch Manager at the hosting branch, said that all three HD Supply Waterworks branches in Houston are involved in coordinating the open house - everything from organizing, setting up, cooking, serving, entertaining, educating, and cleaning up. Additionally, Waterworks associates from branches outside the Houston area in Texas also come in to help.
"Customers big and small get a chance to meet the entire HD Supply Waterworks team," she said, "from the driver that delivers the product, the warehouse associates that pull the orders, the estimators that do the takeoffs, the customer service associates that take the orders to the salespeople that support the job. Our operations personnel, branch managers, district managers, specialists, regional director of operations and our regional vice president also participate in this event."
Fundraising for Shepherd's Men
The Texans cheerleaders who participated in the event sold raffle tickets for prizes including Texans' gear, football tickets, jerseys and gift sets. Proceeds from that raffle benefitted the Shepherd's Men. This team of military service members do an annual run on the east coast in support of the SHARE Military Initiative and to raise awareness for the growing problem of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). The runners wear 22-pound flak jackets and run 22 kilometers each day for nine days, running from New York to Atlanta. HD Supply is a title sponsor of the Shepherd's Men, and supports the run each year through volunteering, events and fundraisers.
"I really liked that HD Supply Waterworks added a fundraiser into the open house to support our veterans. I am all about supporting our troops. That's a cause I can get behind," said James Ingles, American Flow Control, a Waterworks' vendor.
The raffle to support the Shepherd's Men, Niemczak said, couldn't have turned out better. "Thanks to the wonderful people in our waterworks community, I am proud to say we raised $2,100 for the Shepherd's Men in less than three hours."
A Packed Line-Up of Vendors
Open house activities also included participation by over 40 vendors with booths or demo trailers, providing an opportunity for attendees to get up close and personal with some of the products and services that Waterworks offers. Specialists were on hand to demonstrate and share information about items displayed, which included:
· High density polyethylene (HDPE) fusible pipe, along with fittings and fusion equipment.
· Both Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) and Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) meters, which are supported by specialists with expertise in utility management, utility contracting, engineering, municipal and contractor finance, project management and project consultation. HD Supply Waterworks is the sole distributor of the Neptune brand of water meters and technology throughout the entire state of Texas.
· A variety of pumps and pumping products, such as submersible wastewater pumps, dewatering pumps, treatment plant pumping equipment, packaged water booster pump stations, packaged wastewater pump stations, control systems and instrumentation packages.
· Storm drain products such as reinforced concrete pipe, corrugated HDPE pipe, profile plastic pipe, precast concrete structures, plastic drainage basins, inlet protection devices, water quality devices, geotextiles and erosion control products. HD Supply Waterworks also carries other items including underground stormwater storage chambers and metal piping products.
· An assortment of tools the branch carries that customers may need for jobs. Additionally throughout the year, HD Supply Waterworks offers special prices and unique packages on a variety of tool brands through its HD Supply WaterCity Tool Box (available at HDSWaterworks.com).
While a great deal of waterworks products were displayed and demoed at the open house event, Niemczak said HD Supply Waterworks offers many more.
"This is a really a great event," said Ben Connelley, Environmental Development Partners, a Waterworks' customer. "I loved the hands on demo trailers."
"Our open house is an enjoyable day for all, and allows us to say "˜thank you' to the customers we're so proud to serve in the Houston area," said HD Supply Waterworks Regional Vice President Chuck Zappola. "Those who attend also have an opportunity to meet our vendors and learn more about products, services and the value-added solutions from HD Supply Waterworks. Contributing to our customers' success here in Houston as well as those we serve throughout the entire state of Texas, is paramount."
Niemczak says she feels blessed to be in such a fun and unique industry, one that not many people know about. "I get to work with all these salt-of-the-earth people every day, and what really makes it remarkable is that everyone knows everybody, values their strengths and cares about one another. It's a family and it's personal."
"We attended the last open house HD Supply Waterworks hosted in 2014 and it was fantastic," said Yonin Villares and Jose Rangel, T Construction, a Waterworks' customer. "We didn't believe it could get any better but this was really something."
The Houston branch of HD Supply Waterworks is one of 24 Waterworks and Fire Protection branches in the State of Texas.